Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mary Berg


Last night we heard the horrific news that Mary Berg, a dear friend of ours (and one of my sister Christy's best friends) had passed away. It was a very sudden and completely unexpected event, where Mary left behind her loving husband Brian, and beautiful 2 year old son Ben. Mary was to be Emma's (Christy's baby that is due to arrive at any time now) Godmother. Mary was one of the most kind-hearted, genuine, and friendliest person you could meet. In taking her Godmother duty, I know her soul has gone to heaven and is passing Emma's soul into our world. There will be glimpses of Mary in Emma, and Emma will have another guardian angel on her side.

It is completely unimaginable to know how Brian is feeling at this time. Our hearts and prayers are with him every moment. It is also unfathomable to know how Ben is doing and feeling and how he will understand where his mommy has gone. In the past year with Josh's passing I have learned it is not up to us to understand or to begin to understand, it is moreso a test of faith. We need to believe with our hearts that God is good, and trust in the Lord. I have found great comfort in knowing that Joshua passed away during the Easter season. It is a constant reminder to me that God is good, that Jesus sacrificed for us all so that we may be reunited with Him, and all our loved ones in an eternal place. It does not take away the pain, and at times I want to be selfish and ask for Josh back, as I know many are asking to have Mary back right now. We must believe, trust, and love.

Mary is now reunited with her mother and father, and I know is looking down on us with her bright, contagious grin. When Josh passed away last year Mary was there to help us at the wake. The evening of the wake she took Joey and Andrew home so they could rest in their own cribs and keep some sort of "normal" routine. This past March 14, Mary remembered Joshua and our family. She sent an e-mail with some of the most appropriate words. It is heartbreaking to have to relay them back to her friends and family. Mary wrote:
I just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you (and your family) this weekend. For me personally these "anniversaries" (for lack of a better word) are always bittersweet as they remind you of all the grief and sadness you have in your heart because a person is no longer there, but then how lucky you are for having experienced all that love. Anyways I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you all.
Love
Me

Brian and Ben, we are thinking of you, holding you very close in our hearts and in prayer. May you find comfort in each other and hold each other tightly. As I lied awake last night I envisioned Josh meeting Mary again, taking Mary's hand, Mary scooping Josh into her arms, and rocking him to sleep. Until we see you again, we love you and miss you Mary. In using your words, we are lucky to have experienced all your love.




God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:3

4 comments:

Christy said...

Beautifully written. Thanks for remembering Mary and the love she showed everyone. I know that she will take good care of Josh and watch over all of us at the same time.

K said...

Sandy - Well articulated. We will miss Mary desparately. Will and Emma and the rest of her Godchildren cannot ask for a better Godmother. -- kara hanak

Crystal M. said...

I am so sorry for your loss, I kind of remember her from the events. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and all of you.

Nonna and Grampa said...

Our hearts break for Mary and her family and friends, especially Christy. We are so sorry to hear of this tragic loss. We will remember her in our prayers.