Monday, November 2, 2009

All Soul's Day and Joshua's Journey's #18 Rooming In

All Soul's Day
In celebration of All Soul's Day we had a few masses to remember and pray for Josh and others who have passed. One at the cemetery, and one at our church. The remembrance mass at our church was nice in that they said Joshua's name and Phil received a candle lit from the Paschal candle, and then placed it on the steps by the baptismal fountain. It was a very moving ceremony, with a lot of songs and scriptures that we had for Joshua's funeral mass.

No one day is easier than another, Josh is in our hearts and our heads constantly. Thinking about the days getting shorter, colder, and darker earlier, we remember the warm days of summer. Here is one of the times we spent picnicking at Josh's marker.


The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. -Psalm 23

Joshua's Journeys #18- Rooming In
A year ago today we were put to the test of rooming in with Josh. We had been very involved with Josh's care from the beginning, so we had no problems in proving our competencies. The task was to spend the whole day with Josh outside of the NICU caring for him to prove we knew his care for when he was to be discharged. Some people thought it was a crazy idea for us to think about brining Joey with, since he would be a distraction, but I fought saying he will be at home with Josh and we would like to be a family. We were very confident in caring for Josh, and many of Josh's primaries knew that we would be fine. There has been a history of other parents not being able to do the care for their child. Josh would remain hooked up to the monitors that the NICU staff could see his O2 sats, heart rate, and respirations. We were allowed to take him off the monitors to bath him, if we called them to let them know that was what we were doing. If there was an emergency there were switches we could hit to have help sent in immediately. We did not need anyone to help us. We did great at taking care of all of Josh's needs, we got him playing with his brother again, a nice bath, and a photo shoot too! We had been so involved and consumed with Josh's care all along that we had no issues or questions. We had an extra crib for Joey so it was very much like it would be at home with twins. We proved ourselves above and beyond. A few more days and Josh would be discharged.

2 comments:

Christy said...

When I went to church on Sunday, you could say I was not expecting to see Josh's name on the front of the bulletin-not an easy thing for me. It is nice to see the brothers together after so long. They both look so happy and relieved! You both were experts in Josh's care, interesting that you eventually were teaching nurses some tricks!

Crystal M. said...

WOw what a wonderful church you all attend, we have not been to church in a long time and mostly because I have not found on I love as much as I did when I was a child. All my kids are baptised and I really wanted that done. Lucky for me my childhood pastor did that for 2 of my 3 kids. We did find a church for awhile to baptise Bailey but it slipped away after life got away from us.
Anyway, I love reading all about Josh's and your adventures.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva